Monday, July 28, 2008

A Date and A Phone Call (Socks DXIV, DXV, DXVI, DXVII, DXVIII, DXIX, DXX, & DXXI)

While Rar had enjoyed Red’s life story Lar had discovered a strange garment.
“I’ve never seen anything like you before. What are you?”
“I‘m a bib overalls, Mack?”
“Lar.”
“I’m not a liar.”
“I didn’t call you a liar.”
“OK. Let’s drop it.”
“Ok. What’s your job?”
“I‘m like pants that don‘t fall down, Mack.”
“Lar.”
“There you go again.”
“There I go what again?”
“You called me a liar. Again.”
“Why do you keep saying that?”
“Why do you keep calling me a liar?”
“I don’t…”
“Let’s drop it again. Ok?”
“Sure.”
Silence.
Red and Rar had stopped talking and were listening to the other conversation. They saw the misinterpretation that was taking place, but would not intervene. That would ruin the fun.
More silence.
“Won’t suspenders do the same thing?”
“I’m like pants with suspenders that don’t get lost.”
“What about a belt?”
The bibs went on to explain why bib overalls were superior to pants and a belt.
Finally, “How’s that for a story, Mack?”
“Lar.”
“No, it was all true.”
“I don’t doubt you.”
“Then why do you call me a liar, Mack?”
“Why do you call me Mack? I’m not a Mack, I’m a Lar.”
“So, you admit that you are the liar. All this time you been calling me a liar.”
This went on for some time.
Red whispered to Rar, “Who’s on first.”
Rar whispered back, “What?”
“It’s something that Kyle listens to once in a while, it makes him laugh real hard. I heard it a few times before I got the joke. You’ll get to hear it soon, I’m sure.”
They turned their attention to Lar and Big Smith.
Lar and Big Smith finally got it straight, but Big still wasn’t sure if Lar was teasing him or not. He wasn’t even sure if Lar was this characters name for real. Why didn’t he just call himself Fraud, Phony, or Fabricator.
When Kyle got home all garments went into their respective drawer or closet as he walked around talking again, “Hang this up. These in the top drawer. This in here. Leave this out, I’ll wear it to work.”
The drawer that the boys were in was partially open, so they could hear Kyle knocking around.
The phone rang, “Hello.”
*
“Where were you? I waited outside the math building.”
*
“Sorry, I hope you feel better.”
*
“I feel great.”
*
“No, I won’t be able to cover your shift. I’m scheduled at my other job.”
*
“Just Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning this week. I asked Mr. Fillmore to go easy on me, I have a couple tests this week.”
*
“Then I’ll see you Saturday, unless your still sick. Hey, maybe we can do something after work.”
*
“I dunno, get something to eat, see a movie, rent a movie and cook. Your choice.”
*
“Your house or mine, makes no difference.”
*
“Ok, we’ll decide then.”
*
“Bye, see you Saturday. Hope you feel better.”
Soon the boys heard the door shut, and the apartment was silent.
The phone rang. It rang seven times. A few minutes later it rang five times.
As the week progressed Kyle came and went from the apartment, talking to himself while he was there. The phone rang several times while Kyle was absent. One day just as the light was beginning to come in the windows the phone rang again.
“Hello.”
*
“How’d you get this number?”
*
“My mother?”
*
“We’ve been through this.”
*
“No, I don’t need to talk about it.”
*
“No, there is no chance that we will get back together.”
*
“The same two reasons I’ve had for the last year.”
*
“Yes, that’s one. I am going to wait, and I want to be with someone that wants to wait.”
*
“I don’t care what you did before you met me. I made this decision our senior year, I dated… Well, you know, and we… Well, you know. But you slept with Jason while we were dating.”
*
“I believe that my mother would take your side, I never told her what you did.”
*
“Because it’s between you and me. And Jason, of course, he is my cousin.”
*
“I told you I didn’t want to talk about it, and here I am talking. I’ve got to go to work.”
“Bye. Don’t bother calling back.”
A small voice was heard until a click was heard.
Kyle walked around the apartment talking until he left for work, but he never mentioned the phone call. He only talked of what he was going to wear, packing his lunch, and what movie he could rent for Saturday.
The door could be heard to open, but before it closed, the phone rang.
“Hello.”
*
“Mom, I’m just heading out the door for school.”
*
“Can we talk later? I don’t want to be late.”
*
“I promise.”
*
“Love you too, bye.”

1 comment:

Les Verbose said...

This catches me up until tue the
29th